Legal Helpline Freephone: 0800 634 1626 Twitter: @SM_Asbestos

Monday, 15 August 2011

Monday, 15 August 2011

Home Decorating and the Dangers of Asbestos in Artex


Younger generations are unaware of the inherent dangers surrounding the decoration of walls with asbestos-containing Artex wall plaster that can be found in homes across Britain and lead to asbestos-related diseases.

Despite the well established battle against the use of asbestos in the home, younger generations are not always aware of the risks when it comes to redecorating older houses that still contain Artex covered walls.
Artex was a thick plaster-like paint that was used to create textured patterns and coatings on the inner walls and ceilings of houses prior to the 1980’s. Due to manufacturers creating similar non-asbestos based paints, it can often be difficult to determine whether or not your wall coverings contain this harmful substance. 

Undisturbed and stable Artex coverings are relatively safe but like any plaster, over time this paint can deteriorate causing asbestos fibres to break free and become airborne. The plaster typically contains around 5% white asbestos which although is not as dangerous as brown and blue asbestos, is still able to cause harm as there is believed to be no safe level of asbestos exposure.

Once inhaled or ingested, these asbestos fibres can lodge in the lungs and abdomen and irritate body tissue. This can lead to deadly asbestos related cancers like mesothelioma and cause many people to seek asbestos compensation from employers that exposed them to asbestos fibres unnecessarily. 

A lack of education on the subject of asbestos in recent years has led to younger generations being put at risk of exposure; both at work and in the home. As a result, young homebuyers who were too young to remember the media coverage of asbestos and its dangers may hire young builders. These tradesmen may have little knowledge of the correct procedures to follow with asbestos-containing materials like Artex.

Redecorating and removing Artex from the wall without proper precautions can cause asbestos fibres to break loose and be ingested or inhaled without your knowledge. Over the years, many DIY enthusiasts and young builders have been put at risk by employers who failed to insist they carry out an asbestos survey prior to their work. As a result, more and more people are realising they are entitled to asbestos compensation.

If you are concerned that you may be suffering from mesothelioma symptoms or have recently been diagnosed with an asbestos related illness, our specialist solicitors can give you clear and accurate information on obtaining the asbestos compensation you deserve. Call us free to find out whether your exposure to substances like Artex could entitle you to asbestos compensation; 0800 634 1626

2 comments:

  1. Proper assembly helps remove the danger. Be aware of the right installation.

    chimney repairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete