Former mill workers should be advised to keep a eye on their future health after a worker has died of Mesothelioma, the asbestos related lung cancer. The Lancashire man, Robert Marshall Brewin, died aged 61, from malignant Mesothelioma and bronchial pneumonia in May this year. The industrial lung disease, which he contracted as a result of being exposed to deadly asbestos particles during the course of his work, is currently incurable. The inquest was told that Mr Brewin worked in East Lancashire mills, helping to refurbish them. Part of his job was to remove asbestos from pipes, and old boilers, as well as removing asbestos sheets from the factory roofs. He then had to break the sheets of toxic material up using a hammer. At no time, he claimed, was he told to wear protective masks or clothing. After a lifetime working with asbestos in various locations, factories and construction areas, a fall from a roof had originally sparked his ill health. Dr Walid Salman, the pathologist who carried out the post-mortem examination, found Mr Brewin's right lung was surrounded by a tumour which had spread to his heart. After suffering ill health for over a decade he died at home on May 10th, 2010.
Lancashire was a major industrial area of the North West, so it’s no surprise to find more and more cases, and deaths, from asbestos related lung cancer reported these days. During the 1950s and 60s asbestos was used extensively in locations like factories, wood mills, oil refineries and power stations as a cheap, fire retardant and insulating material to use in industrial buildings. Yorkshire too, was home to many mills and the workers were probably exposed to asbestos dust while fitting new equipment, removing lagging to paint pipes, or while repairing leaks. At the time, many mill workers were unaware that they were exposed to, and breathed in, the toxic dust, and even now they may not realise that their exposure to deadly asbestos particles at work, may cause them to become seriously ill, 20-30 years later.
Anyone who worked as an engineer, fitter, electrician or joiner in factories during the middle of the 20th century may be, or become a victim of asbestos exposure related industrial disease. If you think that it may affect you, or your family, please call Simpson Millar on 0808 129 3320 for legal advice.